The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) is energy assistance for adults, 60 years of age and older and those under 60 who receive SSD or SSI.
You should know that benefits will not be paid until Federal funds are available. The regular HEAP benefit is intended to be a one-time supplement to your annual energy costs and is not intended to replace your personal payments. You should continue to pay your energy bills.
The maximum regular benefit an eligible household can receive is $500 for homes that heat with oil, kerosene or propane, and $300 for all others. Last winter, more than 1.4 million households in New York State, including 11,500 households in Niagara County, received HEAP benefits.
To apply for HEAP, contact your local Office for the Aging (716) 438-4016. Anyone can check if they may be eligible for HEAP, and an array of other programs, by answering a few, simple questions online at myBenefits.ny.gov.
– Complete all of the white areas on the application and sign and date your application.
– If anyone in your household works, you must send in copies of the four (4) most recent paystubs for each wage earner.
– If any adult member of your household has zero income they must submit a written statement stating that they have no income.
– Please leave the Voter form attached to your application. Complete the form if you are not registered to vote and you want to register. This does not affect your HEAP eligibility or benefit amount.
We should be able to process your application with the information that you provide. If, however, there is incomplete or unclear information, you will be contacted for verification.
If you have any questions or need help completing the application, please call (716) 438-4016.
Si usted necesita ayuda, por favor llame (716) 278-8400.
Before mailing your application, please check to make sure that:
– All questions are answered and all white sections are completed
– You have signed and dated your application
– You have enclosed copies of the most recent 4 paystubs for each person who works
– You have enclosed documentation of your energy costs if you are choosing to document costs – please see the attachment on Important Notice about Energy Costs.
Return your completed and signed application to:
Niagara County Office for the Aging
111 Main Street, Suite 101
Lockport, New York 14094